Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The dreaded..."NO!"

What do these three things have in common?

It seems like in the last couple of weeks Chloe has started to discover things that I would prefer she didn't discover like: the cookie decorating bin(she and the dog were caught red handed; literally, they were so covered in red because they had eaten the red hots) the Cystal Light canisters (she punctures them with her sharp teeth and gets a reward full of sweet, powdery, goodness), the chocolate chips, the toilet, the dogs food and water bowl, and the garbage cans. It really breaks my heart to have to say the "N" word, so I am trying to just divert her attention as much as possible, but sometimes "NO" is the only way to go. Thankfully, there isn't much in our home to impose restrictions on, but in anycase, we're working on boundaries around here and our efforts are working, slowly. She and the dog are both confused when they hear "N-O" and don't know if it's meant for him or her. Chloe knows when and what to do to get mom's "attention". On the other hand, it's been absolutely priceless seeing her "discover" (there's that word again) her little world. She'll play ball with the dog and when the ball rolls under the couch she can duck down and look under the couch and see where it went. She imitates us when we laugh and really gets silly. When I do laundry she loves to help me put the clothes away, by throwing all the clothes I have just folded over her shoulder on to the ground. She can get through a basket much faster than I can! She really loves music and will show her rhythm with her bopping up and down. She has a bunch of new tastes like tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers,mushrooms, g-beef, craisins, tuna, and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes, and fried mush.(This kid won't be picky if I have anything to say about it.) She loves to load bowls with little lids and then dump the bowls out. I recently went to Ace Hardware, of all places, and found a whole section of "classic" old toys (have I used enough italics in this post!!) The picture below is one such toy. If it weren't for my cute Brad I wouldn't even have known how this toy worked.
Then you squeeze really hard and...
I had the scissors ready to cut the black netting off...would've ruined the fun. We also bought a little canister that makes bird noises when you shake it. They also had a mokey and lamb one. So, when in need of a creative toy, head to Ace Hardware.

4 comments:

Wright's said...

I love your posts. Luckily Kate is just starting to explore since she just stared crawling this week. But then again my oldest two never really got into things, hopefully Kate will be the same. I still can't believe they are almost one.

Brimaca said...

Cute. Let the messes continue! Always take a pic and share it it makes all of us feel better. I'm always glad to know others are going through the same things I am.

Danielle said...

Wow! She's busy. I would have loved to see her and the dog eating red hots.

Alison said...

I totally saw that same toy at the store the other day and thought the black netting came off too! Until my boys showed me how much cooler it was to squeeze it with it on! Must be a boy thing! Chloe is such a doll! Good luck with the 'N' word. :o)