Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Creating.

I've really been trying to get ready for christmas since we've been back from Thanksgiving. This year I wanted to get all my present bought and wrapped (which I did, yeah!) so that I could truly enjoy the spirit of Christmas and family when we go visit in Utah. This year I decided to make several Christmas gifts as well. Luckily I got the last thing finished on Monday because that night Chloe became really sick. Because she has had 2 seizures that have accompanied her 2 major illnesses we are extra cautious when she gets ill. So, long night into a short story. We went to the doc she couldn't find anything, so we went to the hospital and had her blood drawn and she had to have her urine collected via a catheter and then they found some bacteria so she had to have a shot of antibiotic then back today for another dose of antibiotic. It is pretty taumatic to have to hold your child down to have a catheter put in. Yikes! B-rad was able to come with us and help out and that made me so grateful. He's only a second year med student but I find myself asking him 21 questions about everything the doc has said. It helps reassure me. Anyway, here are some pics of what we've been up to.
This is a picture of my dulce de leche plate. If you want to impress your friends take a can on sweetened and condensed milk and put the whole thing (unopened) in a boiling stockpot of water and just let it dance for about 2 hours. Make sure the water never goes under the top of the can. When you remove the cooled can lid you have this rich carmel dip. Amazing, I know! I couldn't believe my eyes.
Me and the Chloe Blue. She has been extra cuddly. Brad got the boot last night and she and I shared the bed. She even took Brads pillow. He loves his down pillow so that was a major sacrifice for him.
My purse. My cute friends were going to help me make this but we never connected so I was kind of forced to just pick through the pattern on my own. Although, i did ask them tons of questions. There was something SO satisfying about finishing this project. I really admire people that can sew. I don't think I can say "i can't sew" anymore because i've really made quite a few things. I've learned quite a lot from my little projects. Namely, it's really important to measure correctly or your pieces don't match up, needle break!, there will be lots of unpicking, and relax your shoulder muscles!!
This was a project my friend showed to us group of med school wives. I made a couple of these. This is the one for Chloe's room. The little red circle is a magnet. I love to jazz things up with sequins.

I really like the show design on a dime. I watch that show and think of all the stuff I could make. If only I had a staple gun, a nail gun, and 1000 dollars. I do have some projects on the new year horizon, though.
And, I decided to opt out of the Christmas card creation this year. I came to this decision after I had already bought the stamps though!! So, know that you are all loved and we will post our Christmas fun later.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

6deans said...

I am so sorry to hear Chloe has been so sick. I bet that was very traumatic having to watch her get a catheter put in. I am quite impressed with your sewing abilities...too bad you don't have my name for Christmas. Can't wait to see in in a few days.

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry to hear Chloe's been sick. It sounds like it's been rough.
Good job on the bag! It looks fabulous!!

K.E.N said...

Do you have a stamp that just says "Merry Christmas" that I could borrow? I just want to stamp it on the inside of my cards so that I don't have to write it 50 times. I'm crossing my fingers :)

Brimaca said...

I love the magnet board. Do you buy the board and decorate it or do you just spice it up?

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie! Long time reader, first time commenter.

We had to do the catheter thing with Lucy a couple years ago. Not fun! I hope she's feeling better. Merry Christmas!!

Danika said...

Your board turned out way cute!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

So did Chloe have a UTI? We've battled that road all too many times with our girls, and it is not fun! And if it was a Rosevern shot she had to have, those are horrible! I hope she is all healthy and happy again!

Jenny said...

I've been wondering where you were and hoping there wasn't something wrong, especially when I saw Brad in church by himself today. I hope that Chloe gets feeling better. Let me know if you need anything.