Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dear February

Dear February,
I hate to tell you this, but when you arrive that means Christmas was a month ago and we have to wait 10 more for the merriment of the season to begin again. You bring with you bitter cold temps and dark, shortened days. I like how you try to redeem yourself with a "holiday" right in the middle of your short 28 days. I do like Valentine's and I thank you for your attempt at being a happy month. The big celebration of the month comes on the 24th. I gain another year, but I also know that March is around the corner and the lion or the lamb of spring will present itself.
I need to let you know that I am more creative because of you. We paint with water, we stand on the couch and look out the window and hope for "daddy to come home". Sometimes we bundle up with coats and slippers and blanket and hats and mittens and throw the ball for Starsky (just a few times till we get too cold), we drink "chalky-milk". Chloe gets hers cold while I heat mine up and add marshmallows. We sing to Barney, gallop, swim like a turtle, jump "high", spin, build towers, read, sing, and turn all our little space heaters on. After a week of you, February, we start to get used to the indoors and the made-up fun.
That's when you surprise us February. I woke up yesterday to the sun shining through Chloe's window. I stood on the front porch and felt your warm teasing wind. I drove in the car and I know I don't need to tell you this, but the temperature gauge said 45 at 8:30am and then 59 later on. Today it was 71. I went running this morning and was able to push Chloe and take the dog. I wore shorts, February. I don't know if you realize this, but shorts and white legs aren't supposed to happen till April. But I want to thank you. We've made several trips to the park and walked to the store.
February, just one more thing, you better write back and tell me what I'm supposed to tell my almost 2 year old toddler, tomorrow, why the weather has turned bitter cold and why we can't go outside and why we have to wear our coat and hat again and why our noses freeze and our breath turns white.

Just a little Eucalyptus, some blingy-hearts, and one loveable baby girl.
A gorgeous day for a "backback" ride and delicious BLT sandwiches and fresh blueberry smoothies.
Enjoy your February. We love it both cold and warm.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

6deans said...

Cute post Mel...we missed you in Colorado.

Brimaca said...

Very cute post. Creative. Big surprise there. :) Love you and love your blog. Feel free to update more often. :)

Pattie said...

aww you are so creative..cute pictures btw..

Marianne and Matt said...

That was such a cute post. It made me smile the whole time!! I am so happy that you got to spend time playing outside. With two boys, sunny days are a life saver!!

Anonymous said...

You are so stinkin cute. How creative a post was that? Love the bling on the tree and the sweet little girl! You guys are too cute!

Tamara Jacobs said...

Amen! This weather is quite the tease. It was nice to be able to actually go on a walk tonight though. Chloe is so cute and You are such a cute mom.

Jenny said...

I know, Tab got mad at me about having to put his coat on the other day. He doesn't understand why we can't go to the park and the pool every day.

Melissa said...

It has been so nice. Having the windows open, letting fresh air in and having the inside temp stay at 70 degrees. Wonderful!

Murds said...

My sister Mel, what a clever posting. You always did have a way with words.