Fast forward to this week. Brad and I were talking on night and he gets up spontaneously and goes and finds his old cowboy boot. He reaches in the toe and produces $100. He told me to buy my new machine. He decided that my new machine could make things that would be a good return on the expense. Ahh...Brad! I decided I better get working harder on getting my machine fixed. I can't spend this guy's money. Yesterday I ventured to Hancock Fabric. The lady was not elderly but mommish (I guess I'm mommish so whatever that's supposed to mean) She decided she didn't want to even look at my machine and she turned me away to the...internet. When I looked at the internet for sewing stuff it's like looking at a screen full of Hebrew. I decided I may just as well get my machine fixed for 65 bones. I'd save myself atleast 10 plus I'd already know how to use my machine when it returned. Last time it took me about a month before I figured out how to use my basic singer. So I went back to the sewing store. You remember the one...by Great Harvest. This is where the judgement came in. I walked in to be greeted by "Matt" a very handsome fellow in his young twenties. I'm sure I visibly sighed and rolled my eyes as I handed him my machine. I thought to myself, 'like this guy is gonna know a thing about sewing machines'. I told him I needed to pay 65 dollars to get this piece of art fixed. He said, "now, maybe not." Then he proceeded to take my machine over to the sewing center table and plug it in. He pulled his glasses on and cleared himself a little sewing spot just like I would've done. This is when my jaw dropped and I said, "you sew". And he said, "oh yeah, I've been the manager of this store for a couple of years and I also like to fix the machines on my spare time." Seriously, Matt. So that's when he decided to take a chance on my machine and fix it in less than the amount of time it took us to go to Great Harvest and buy some cinnamon butter. He only charged me $4.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Today I judged...poorly.
So, when we moved here several of our things didn't survive the move. 2 expensive things didn't make it. The DVD player and my sewing machine (tear) Somehow the mechanisms got all jammed in my sewing friend and the presser foot disappeared. I decided I needed my sewing machine to get me through the "not-having-any-friends-hot-hot-summer-stage" of moving in. So, what did I do. I saw there with it broken. Finally, about a week ago I went to the Joanns and looked for an elderly lady to see my plight and say "oh I know just how to fix that" and I'd be off. Instead I found "Jenny" a 17 year old girl working there for the summer. Apparantly I caught her on the phone with her friend but she was not pleased with my question and did not want to help a crafter in need. She referred me to the internet. Thanks Jenny. And then to a sewing store nearby. I went to the sewing store with machine in arm (those suckers are heavy) and Chloe in the other hand and I am carrying a baby on the front. Sheesh...in that heat, too. I entered the sewing store to find "Kelly" a 20 something non-sewer. She took one look at my machine and decided I needed to send it into the Singer home base and pay (lump in my throat) $65 for repair plus some for the foot. Can't I just buy a foot and tinker with it myself, I wondered. As I left I said, I probably would just buy a new sewing machine at Target for $80. She said, "well, when you want to come back and are prepared to pay a higher price for quality services then we can help you." I am glad Great Harvest was next store because we took our sadness out on a chocolate brownie and a slice of cinnamon crunch bread. Plus, I bought something because that store always makes me feel guilty giving you that stuff for free.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
That's awesome! I have to admit I judged poorly as I was reading your post. When I got to the Matt part, I thought, "Give the girl a break! Where are the older, more experienced sewing people/workers at this store?" I am so impressed with this Matt guy. How nice! I'm glad you can get back to your sewing now. And...I'm drooling over the thought of a Great Harvest. I haven't seen one anywhere near us though. Bummer!
sweet dog. I'm glad it was cheap after lugging that thing around everywhere.
I'm glad "Matt" was able to help you out :) It seems like from your previous customer service experiences that you sure earned it!
Hot diggity, that's awesome! Glad it all worked out!
Can't wait to see the new things you create now that your machine is fixed. Customer service can really be frustrating. I am so glad you didn't end up paying the $65 the first time you went to that store and you were able to have Matt help you instead. I hope you are getting to know some people there better. You really only need to meet 1 or 2 friends and you will be OK. I hope that happens soon :) Love ya
That was a great story! I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but hey, at least you motivated me to get off my butt and shower so we could go to Great Harvest this morning! :)
Glad you met "Matt", we all need more "Matt's" in this world! ;)
Oh yay! I was hoping that story would have a happy ending! (where can I get one of those cowboy boots w/$100 in the toe?!)
First of all, you have an awesome husband! And second, Matt is so cool. I'm glad you have your old friend back for only $4.
I've had good experiences with Matt's in my life:) Glad you have your sewing machine back. You need to post your new projects because I need some inspiration to use my sewing maching.
Mel, You are a great writer, I loved reading that whole story. I'm glad that it worked out in the end.
I sympathize with your sewing maching plight. Not only do you tell a good story but you are also economical! Loved reading this.
I can feel your pain on the broken machine front. It is so not fun. After a pain in the rear with the people I bought mine from, Jason fixed it...lol. Gotta love having a man around.
That man should now be known as your best friend. Even simple cheap fixes cost a boat load. He must have really been feeling your plight.
Post a Comment